Today I am sharing an easy and great recipe of spicy cumin-carom and whole wheat khakhra recipe with you all. Khakhra is a Gujarati traditional recipe and is one of the popular recipes amongst all. I usually end up making these khakhras in a large bunch and store them in an air tight container. They keep good for up to 6 to 7 days. Masala khakhras are not only delectable to eat but are healthy as well.
You can relish eating this delectable snack as a light snack whenever you are hungry. Khakhras come in many flavors like plain khakhra, masala khakhra, jeera khakhra, carom khakhra, methi khakhra, and bajra khakhra and so on. Masala khakhra is really delicious.
Take wheat flour in a big mixing bowl and add gram flour, dry fenugreek leaves, carom seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, red chilly powder, finely chopped green chilies, salt and 2 tsp oil. Mix all the ingredients well.
1) Add milk in small portions and knead firm and stiff dough. If needed, add 1 to 2 tsp water as well. Cover and keep the dough aside for 15 to 20 minutes to set.
2) Dough is now ready, grease your hands with some oil and make small lumps until the whole dough is utilized. Take one lump and roll it into smooth dough ball and place back to the bowl. Similarly, roll all the lumps into smooth dough balls
3) Now place one dough ball on the rolling board and roll it out into thin khakhra. The moment it starts sticking to the board, dust with some dry flour and roll out thinly.
4) Preheat a tawa and place the thinly rolled khakhra over it. When the khakhra is roasted from beneath, the color on the surface turns dark. Now flip the sides and let it roast on the other side as well.
5) Flip the side again and now take a clean muslin cloth and press the khakhra on all sides until it gets brown spots on both the sides evenly. Keep the flame medium.
6) Transfer the roasted khakhra over a plate or stack them in a basket or casserole. Likewise prepare the rest khakhras.
Serve these lip smacking and spicy masala khakhras with any pickle or chutney or have them as it is! When the khakhras cools downs completely, store them in any container and relish eating for up to 6 to 7 days.
– You can also roast the khakhra by applying some oil. Place the rolled khakhra over the tawa and apply some oil on both the side and continue roasting until it gets brown spots. To roast these khakhras use a wooden spatula or a bowl.
– Make sure you roll out the khakhras really thinly so that they get crispy and crunchy.
– Roast the khakhras on low-medium flame only.
– For 10 khakhras
– Time 60 minutes