“THIN AND CRISP KHAKHRAS ARE A PART OF GUJARATI BREAKFAST. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THEY ARE EATEN MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE AT ANY MEAL. CURDS, PICKLES OR MUNG BALANCES WELL WITH THEM.”
FOR THE DOUGH
- Mix all the ingredients. Knead to a soft dough. Sprinkle little water on the dough. Cover and keep for 15-20 minutes.
- Apply ghee and knead again. Smoothen the dough.
- Divide the dough into 25 equal portions. Make round balls. Keep aside.
FOR ROLLING AND COOKING ROTIS
- Pre-heat the griddle (tava) on a low flame. Roll out to make thin, even, round, rotis, a little bigger than the sadi rotis.
- Lower the flame. Place the roti on the griddle. As edges begin to turn up, turn roti to the other side. Cook till air pockets appear on the surface. Lift roti from the griddle. Turn it directly over the high gas flame. As the roti puffs up, remove it from the flame. Try to keep rotis, spotlessly white on both the sides.
- Evenly apply ghee on the roti. Repeat the same for all the remaining rounds. Make a pile of all the rotis. Ghee should not be applied on the bottom and top two rotis of the pile.
FOR ROASTING KHAKHRAS
- On a medium flame, heat a thick griddle. Lower the flame. Slap the pile of rotis on the griddle. Press and rotate the pile, specially the edges of the rotis, with a wad of thick muslin cloth. Roast till the rotibecomes light brown in colour. Turn it over. Smear the griddle with little ghee. Roast the second side of the roti, giving enough pressure on the pile.
- Put the roasted khakhra flat on a plate or a griddle. Put a heavy vessel (the size of the khakhra) on it. Loosen the next roti from the pile with hands, so that it does not tear by indirect heat (steam).
- Smear little ghee on the griddle when each side of the roti is roasted. Continue roasting rest of the rotis. Put each roasted khakhra on the pile.
- Let the pile cool with the heavy vessel on it. Store in an airtight container.
- Wrap the cooked rotis in a muslin cloth and store in a container, if prepared in advance.
Wipe the griddle after 3-4 khakhras are roasted.
For fat free khakhras avoid use of ghee.
For Masala Khakhra proportionally add spices to the dough.